Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Sharing of my personal experience with NGO!!

While doing my MBA @ Great Lakes Institute of management, one good thing that happened to me was to start working with a NGO. Sanjeev, Rajesh, Anubhav , Nesa and I worked for Nethaji Mercy home. It is an orphanage located in Velachery. 24 children in the age group of 6 months to 15 years are residing in this orphanage. As part of Karma yoga course, we were supposed to work for a month and uplift the life of children staying there. People might think that it is quite ridiculous to do such a thing within a month.

For the sake of the course credits, we started working for the NGO. At the end of one month, I found it really difficult to disengage myself from NGO. Even today, after one year,whenever possible I make it a point to meet the children and spend some good time with them. It is here that I understood that, after all money is not the most important thing in one's life!!Some where I have read that "Time we spent enjoying is not wasted time". It is only here that I understood the meaning of that.

In this hectic life of ours,where earning money and reputation is the only goal,we can also spend some time with these people who really require our attention. Money is only a secondary requirement for these people living in these orphanages and old age homes. Love and affection from people like us is their foremost requirement.

Dont take this as a preaching. But this is just my viewpoint. Why dont we allocate some time every week or month or year and make it a point to share our love and affection with these people in orphanages and old age homes (and if possible, some money :) ). Lets spread love and affection and make this world a better place to live.

You can find details of the NGO at the following website address.
http://www.nethajimercyhome.org/